Monday, May 21, 2012

Attempting to Embrace Social Media

My attenpts at blogging have been sporadic, inconsistent and shameful. As a budding librarian I have been so interested in learning the new technologies, not that blogging is new, but woeful in embracing it. What fascinates me the most about all of this social media is how enraptured the younger generation is about telling everyone everything, no thoughts about privacy, everything is fair game and truthfully I find that so distressing. I think it ranks right up there with living in housing on a military post, nothing was a secret, at least not to your neighbors, and I speak from personal experience. I guess that is why, when we hear about Pinterest law suits becasue of copyright and privacy issues I am not surprised. Does anyone else have a problem with this? Come on, am I the only librarian out there who is hesitant to embrace the social media that rules the day without some serious investigation? So, I am embraking on the 23 Things for Professional Development this week, a few weeks late but I attempted to do so last year and did not get much accomplished. This is a first attempt on my adventure that will be blogging. The plan to to learn and grow, it's what we are supposed to do as professionals and as humans! Step one completed.

1 comment: